Saturday, June 6, 2020

Nerdy Obsessions QUARANTINE EDITION

What kind of nerdy stuff have I had access to in quarantine? This post has taken two whole months to write because I have been so busy. And to be honest, it's surprising that I have been able to get back to it now.

Scooby-Doo.
Yeah. I love cartoons. So fun!
With the new Scoob trailers, came my overwhelming desire to revisit the entire franchise as a whole. The movies, the shows, and the comics. The canon itself as a whole is a bit confusing, as it sometimes retcons itself across different variations. I may post later about which ones I like the most and would recommend to people to watch.

But when it comes to the movie itself, I was a bit underwhelmed. It still had all of the characters I love. Scooby, Shaggy, Velma, Daphne, and Freddy. And honestly, I was excited to see that it had other cartoon characters from my youth... But other than the idea of characters not every element of the movie was done well.

The idea behind starting a multiverse was great in concept, but if they really wanted do that effectively. Doing it in a Scooby movie may not have been the smartest idea. The movie didn't play off well at all. It was still a fun movie, but it didn't have anything that made the movie a Scooby movie.
(In the future I can do a fuller review of it. Because there is a lot to talk about with this movie good and bad!)

I went back to one of the first feature-length films of the Franchise. Scooby Doo on Zombie Island. This was back before the voice actors we know and love like Grey DeLisle, and Scott Innes voiced Scooby Doo in the place of the late Don Messick. It was one of the first movies to subvert the classic Scooby genre into true horror. And the three movies that follow it follow this trend in suit. As a fan of the franchise, I used to think of myself as up for anything when it came to these franchises. And these movies are some of the best.

But my favorite product of the whole darn franchise has to be the tried and true, easily rewatchable Mystery Incorporated show. It basically took the Scooby gang (Not the live-action tv show one with Buffy and Willow) and has them growing up in a small town with a strange past.

Speaking of two season, small-town mystery shows Disney's Gravity Falls is another good show. Especially with us being stuck in our homes while Corona is afoot. This show has to be one of the most open ended shows I have ever seen and it is such a BUMMER that it was only two seasons long. This show aired from June 2012 to a sad end in February of 2016. It surround two siblings, Dipper and Mabel Pines, as they are spending the summer in a small town called Gravity Falls with their good old Grunkle Stan. I don't want to say too much about this show because it's a great watch and it's a shame it ended because apparently showrunner Alex Hirsch had a bit more to cover on the show and fans of it (including me) are hoping to see more soon. (Please.)


As far as other things coming out, I caught some episodes of Scooby Doo and Guess Who featuring Hollywood stars like Mark Hamill, Sia, and Whoopi Goldberg to name a few good ones. Also! Ducktales?! AMAZING! I love all the talented voice actors and the stories it tells. I can't say too much because I know nothing of the original lore, but stuff is crazy! The world of anime fascinates me more and more everyday as Beastars came out just a few months prior and I am already so engaged in the lives of every single one of these characters (Well not too engaged.) Warning: Beastars may seem like Zootopia with younger characters and an English dub, but it is a hard show to swallow at points. It is best watched slowly. Also it has a more mature tone so probably best to refrain from it if you are under the age of 18. And under the suspicion that my sister will read this, the current end to the show Miraculous Ladybug is very upsetting to me.



No comments:

Rating The Horror Movies I Have Watched.

Hey!  Surprise! It's been a while since I have done this, but I think it's time to share some unsolicited horror movie opinions! Doe...