Thursday, June 27, 2019

Avengers Endgame Review (Spoilers are inevitable if you haven't seen the film)

Avengers Endgame was the culmination of years of so much hard work and writing and time on behalf of everyone involved in the project. It was a three hour movie so it had a lot of room to add details, leave easter eggs, tease future projects, and slip in a lot of jokes. It may have been a box office success but was it really amazing? Like was it a breathtaking finale to a ten year storyline.

Well... Yes? And No? This movie had positives and negatives throughout the entire thing. Like for example, the life after the snap and decapitation of Thanos scenes really resonated. I was hoping for those kinds of scenes. Just seeing how every character reacted after losing so much. The trips through time were wonderful and I loved the homage to the past movies. Especially seeing Freya and The Ancient One in their respective scenes. I loved the Ancient One's whole part of explaining how time works and then getting really pale when she finds out Strange gave up the time stone to save Tony Stark. But the scenes with Howard Stark and Peggy Carter really made my heart melt. The emotional factors of this movie really made it for me. Especially in that final scene of the movie.

Several characters made this movie very enjoyable for me, especially in the comedic department. Morgan Stark was an adorable and funny character just like Tony and I really hope that we see more of her as maybe a young hero???? Young Avengers. Please Happen. You set it up over the entire three hours with Morgan, the other kids introduced and of course Harley Keener who was seen in the funeral scene. We saw you Harley. Setting up to be Iron Lad? Let's do this! Bring on Hulking and Wiccan! And Antman! The comedic relief from Paul Rudd's character really helped make this movie a combo of tears and giggles for me. I loved his role in this more than I did the actual Antman movies! And Rocket actually had a bit of an opportunity to shine on his own with a bunch of stuff. Plus that snark definitely hasn't gone anywhere.

Thing is, all of these actors have great chemistry with one another and I think that definitely plays a big part in how well the movie flowed. Plus add that to OMG moments like Thor stealing his hammer from himself, Loki stealing the Tessaract, STEVE LIFTING MJOLNIR, and Gamora re-entering the MCU. This movie was chock full of wonderful things.



Of course, you could tell a BUT was coming. Out of all the things this movie did well... It just kinda fell flat in others. First of all, where the heck was the Coulson cameo? You have cameos from all these loveable characters and you just FORGOT Phil?

Out of the six Avengers, only Tony, Steve, and Natasha were fun to watch. I don't really know the others didn't really do it for me. AND DO NOT get me started on my opinion on that one dreadful scene. Honestly out of the several women that survived the snap! You get one captured and tortured by an alternate version of herself, and the other fighting one of her best friends so she can die?! There was a better solution. Hawkeye should have gone. All he wanted was to get his family back! He jumps, Nat is fine to go back with the stone and so many fans would not be upset. (Not that I hate Hawkeye. I just think Ronin was a jerk in this. He had motivation, but I didn't really get anger and hatred... I didn't buy it) And then of course, characters who should have dominated this movie and KILLED THANOS (FRICKIN CAROL DANVERS) got either (again) kidnapped by their past self or only got three-five minutes of screentime. Plus, I would have loved to see more Okoye! I get she was in Wakanda, but Angela Bassett confirmed in an interview the queen was still alive. Couldn't she take care of Wakanda so like Okoye could... I don't know help save the universe? (though now that I think about it she also said Shuri was alive too and...) That was another thing I hated. They killed Vision, but instead of getting him fixed to help, he probably sat in Wakanda as a lifeless husk of metal.

There was that powerful scene with all these awesome Marvel ladies... that lasted about as long as Captain Marvel's screentime. Like... Why limit something that awesome? I needed more of that. In fact like give us a movie that's just three hours of all of them hangin out and kicking butt! Just all of them. Like resurrect Nat and do it.


As far as everything else though, I was a fan! Great story, great characters, and I laughed and cried at the same time at some points. OH NO. NO NO NO. Wait a minute. There was a thing I didn't like. Now just to let y'all know. That scene with Tony snapping was perfection. But I was kinda hoping to see Nebula wearing the glove. While the Tony snapping ended his arc with a perfect ribbon on a casket... Nebula putting the nail in her father's coffin would have been the sweet justice she was looking for. For Gamora, for the torture, for being second favorite. It would have been the perfect twist of the knife. Of course, I am saying this as a nerd. But as a fan I loved the ending.

I am giving this movie an 8.5 stars out of 10 because I can't rate it lower due to some of the awesome stuff that went down. But I can't go higher because of what happened to Natasha.

No comments:

31 Days of Horror Results. (I Drop Several F-Bombs. For Emphasis! I'm Not Sorry! Okay, maybe a little sorry...)

 It's not thirty-one days. I do know how to count. I just was not in a great place mentally to follow a schedule for something that was ...