Saturday, May 20, 2017

This is for Benji!


                                                                                 Prologue


                Some people say that family lasts forever, even when they are all gone. I would say that I agree with them. But when I think of family, I think of my brother Benji. We were a team, one of the best in my opinion. We were always by each other’s side; people who saw us thought we were best friends rather than brothers. We helped each other out when we needed a hand, and regardless if we wanted it. I helped him prepare for his college tests and he helped me with my… problems.

                You probably have no idea who I am, but my name is Cason. Cason Hendricks. I am a Border Collie and proud of it, although it’s mainly because of how fluffy I am. I am fifteen years old. I have blue eyes and love to wear hoodies and blue jeans. I love reading playing soccer, and reading books, and getting hugs whenever I can get them.

I am writing this on the day before I turn sixteen. Happy Birthday to me! But I figured that I would write this all on the night before as a meaningful use of my time. The reason I am writing this book is because I love my brother, and most of the most important things I have ever learned, were from Benji.

                You see… I have terrible anger issues. Before I turned fifteen, I think I landed six or seven people in the hospital, some of them more than once. I have also almost been arrested for battery, three times. Yeah… I have problems. That’s where my brother came in. He took me to one of his friends, a wolf, who has a girlfriend with anger issues that he has been helping. The guy agreed to begin meeting with me.

So that’s where this story begins, on the morning of that first meeting. The day that started the year that changed my life. If you don’t want to read a story about a fluffy teenager who struggles with anger and life, then feel free to put this book down. I won’t hate you… much. But to those of you who have kept reading, I hope you enjoy my story whether the turns are good or bad.

                                                                 Chapter 1

It was the morning of soccer tryouts. I had slept in so I could be extra rested and do my best, so the coaches would pick me for their team. However, my brother, Benji had other ideas. It had gotten really cold the night before and my fur coat and shorts weren’t blocking all the cold (And because I don’t wear shirts when I sleep because they make me sweat and then they are extremely difficult to take off in the morning.) so I had decided to sleep with some extra blankets.

Well my wonderfully annoying brother, decided to come in and rip away the blankets. “Wake up sunshine!” He laughed.

I sat up abruptly and tried to get the blankets back. “Come on Benji! I am tired and it is cold!”

Benji smiled and sat down on my bedside. “But it’s an amazing day, and you have the first day of school!”

I fell back onto my bed and groaned. I had forgotten about the first day of school, and I really didn’t want to go back. “Why?” I whined.

Benji reached for my feet and started tickling them. “Come on little pup. Outta bed!”

I laughed and got out of bed and he laughed and left my room so I could change. I walked to my drawer and looked down. I saw my favorite red shirt that has the words “Raise the Woof” on it. I picked up a pair of blue jeans and went into my bathroom to take a hot shower.

I use a lot of conditioner on my fur when I take showers so I go through about a bottle every two weeks. So my parents decided to get me several different kinds of conditioners so they wouldn’t have to buy them every two weeks.

So, anyway I took my shower and got dressed. It was still cold, so I put on my blue hoodie to keep myself warm. I walked downstairs to get myself some breakfast and saw that Benji had made me scrambled eggs on cinnamon toast. I sat down at the table and ate it quickly.

My Dad was at the other side of the table watching. “Don’t eat too fast, Kiddo. You can’t afford to be sick today.”

I smiled at him, “Dad… Kids don’t get heartburn.”

He looked over the tops of his glasses at me. “Oh-ho? You wanna bet kiddo? Your brother gets it all of the time.” He opened the paper again and starts reading for a few minutes as I finished eating. He put the paper down again. “Oh! And your brother is waiting in the car to take you to school.”

I smiled. Did I mention that I love spending time with my brother? I ran into the kitchen to get my lunchbox and kiss mom on the cheek. I grabbed my book bag and headed out the door. Sure enough, Benji sat in his car in the driveway waiting for me.

He gave me a big smiled and waved for me to get into the car. “Come on Cason! You’re friends are waiting, and I have got a class in fifteen minutes that I have got to get to!”

I smiled, and ran to get into the car so we could leave. It was probably a ten minute drive to the school, I wasn’t really keeping track of the time because I was busy talking to my brother. He looked at me as we pulled out of the driveway. “So… You remember that friend I told you about?”

I sighed, “You mean the guy with the girlfriend that has anger issues? The one you think can help me? Yeah… I remember.” I put my head on my paw and looked out the window.

I felt Benji put his paw on my shoulder. I looked back over at him to see him giving me a sad smile. “You know that it is for your own good, right?”

I shrugged, “I know… But I don’t want some guy who is just gonna give me a bunch of breathing exercises and stress balls. I hate people like that.” Cason sighed his eyes narrowing.

Benji chuckled, “Yeah… I remember what you did to the last guy. How long was he in the hospital?” He smirked at me. “Two weeks?”

I smiled remembering that moron. “Naw. It was two and a half weeks, and they also had to put a cast on the broken arm.” He smiled, “I’ll give your friend a try then… Maybe this guy won’t end up in the hospital this time.” I chuckled.

Benji laughed along with me. Then he gave me a look. “Please don’t… He is my friend…”

I smiled at him and put one of my paws in the air and the other over my heart. “I promise that I will not beat your friend up, if I get angry.” I knew that I probably wouldn’t be able to keep that promise, but I wanted to show Benji that I respected him and his friends.

Benji frowned at me. “We both know that you can’t control yourself enough to promise me that…” He put a hand on my shoulder like he knew what I was feeling… And what I was feeling at that moment, was regret and a little bit of anger. “I know that look buddy. I know you hate having your issues, but if you found a way to channel them into something fun… they may not be much of a problem.”

I smiled and gave Benji a look, “Beeeeeen” I groaned and punched him playfully. “We already had that discussion!” I grinned, “That’s why I am playing soccer!” I nudged him “Because…”

Benji gave me a look, “Casssoon.” He groaned back.

I smirked, “I ain’t stopping till you say it with me.”

Benji gave a fake sigh. “Fine.”

“Because, Cason likes playing soccer when he is angry.” We said at the exact same time.

“Jinx!” Benji said with a smile. “”No talking until I say your name, or you owe me a soda.”

I looked back at the window and saw that we were getting close to the school. I knew Benji would have to say my name before

Benji pulled the car to a stop, and I could feel him looking at me. “Cason… I love you bro, okay?” I turned to see that he had opened his arms for a hug.

Not being one to ever turn down a hug, I unbuckled my seatbelt and hugged my brother. “Love you too bro…” I smiled and opened the door. “Have an awesome day at college.”

He smiled back at me as I got out of the car and shut the door. “You too little guy.”

I gave him a look as he drove away with laughter in his eyes. I turned to the school. Eastwood High. I couldn’t believe that I was already in the tenth grade. I was only a few years away from graduating and being able to go to college, and I couldn’t wait!

No comments:

31 Days of Horror Results. (I Drop Several F-Bombs. For Emphasis! I'm Not Sorry! Okay, maybe a little sorry...)

 It's not thirty-one days. I do know how to count. I just was not in a great place mentally to follow a schedule for something that was ...